Tuesday, March 31, 2009

baking...

I'm pleased to say that my gluten intolerance has not had much of an effect on my baking and cooking. Sure, I'm more careful and have to watch what I use and everything, but I've been baking and cooking just like before.

This morning I woke up wanting cereal, but when I saw we were out, it didn't take any time at all for me to find my copy of Gluten Free Girl's Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies . I mixed them up really fast, rolled them into balls, rolled the balls in sugar, put them on the cookie sheet, made the criss cross with fork prongs and stuck them in the oven. In about 10 minutes I had warm peanut butter cookies that I could eat. I had two for breakfast!

When I first was told I have Celiac disease and would have to read every food label, avoid cross contamination, and follow a strictly gluten free diet, I thought my world would end. I love biscuits...I found a gluten free biscuit mix. I wanted cookies...found recipes for those (even a mix for chocolate chip cookies). Then I had my birthday. What in the world would someone gluten free have for their birthday?! I found a gluten free cake mix that I did not like. It was too dense, thick and I could taste the eggs (for those of you who don't know, I have a pretty keen sense of taste...tasting eggs when you're eating cake is disgusting). I think next year it will be ice cream for my birthday...we'll see.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my baking success with you guys. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find some more great recipes for gluten free foods soon.

1 comment:

  1. How long have you been gluten free? Are you sure the pills that herbal doc gave you are gluten free? I tried to take some vitamins but got sick, then discovered one of the pills in the daily packets had wheat in them.

    ReplyDelete