Saturday, February 7, 2009

Just a hello....and gripe about Valentine's Day

Well, the weekend is here again! I'm glad to report, that after ice storms, my family was only out of electricity Tuesday night through Saturday afternoon. We were lucky to have it back so soon, especially considering that we live in the country. Others weren't so lucky...a close friend of mine, Blake, said they just got their power back on yesterday.

Our cell phones have been having problems, but I think they're fixed now. We live near a cell phone tower and usually have perfect reception....however, for like the past week, there will be times we have NO signal strength at all. Anyway, I think it's fixed....and the number of texts I've been getting assure me of that.

We have been watching my niece this week some. We picked her up on Wednesday and she is going home this afternoon. She's two and a half....and a mess! We made up a song the other day (my niece and I) that she is singing while I type. "Madison's a booger head. Booger head, booger head. Madison's a booger head. hahaha hahahaha. Madison's a boo---ger Head!!" She loves it and sings it in all kinds of voices.

Anyway, I guess I'm just as boring this time as I was in the last post. Chandler, my toy poodle, has adjusted to having another boy dog in the house...but still barks and growls and Joe and Anthony, my brothers. Of course, because of his size Mom and I think it's cute...I guess we should try to train him away from that.

Valentine's Day is next week. I don't think I could like a holiday any less. I think that couples should celebrate their love for each other 365 (366 in some cases) days a year, not one day that we have assigned on a calendar. Valentine's day is a holiday that, I think, shows that we have scheduled our lives so much that we need to assign a day to show the person (or people) that we love how much we care for them. It's a pitiful holiday because if you are truly in love or love someone, you shouldn't have to have a single day set apart on the calendar to celebrate that love. It should be celebrated on a daily basis with as much gumption as people put into Valentine's day. However, if you use Valentine's day as a "love reinforcement" day, spending more time and effort to celebrate the love that you do each day, then you fully deserve to celebrate this day with your loved one. I think my gripe is that so many people are so busy after the holidays that they use Valentine's day as a love catch-up day....squeezing as much love into one day as they can because they haven't celebrated that love since the holidays.

Anyway, I guess that's all I have for now.

1 comment:

  1. My personal opinion of Valentine's Day is that it is a consumer day--you know, one of those days that the retail industry created to sell more stuff. And, I also think that girls who pout and cry and act foolish because their guy didn't buy them something are too immature to be in a relationship anyway.

    My husband and I have been married 17 years, we have never celebrated Valentine's Day, because I would rather he show his love for me every day, in little ways like giving me a hug or a kiss, or doing the dishes, or mowing the lawn without having to be asked, than for him to spend money foolishly on hearts, chocolates and flowers.

    ReplyDelete